Black cumin seed comes from Nigella Sativa plant, a well known medicinal plant. Egypt is the largest grower of black cumin as the climatic condition is favourable. It is recorded that the cumin seed was also found in the ancient tombs in Egypt. The seed contains an abundance of fatty acids with many medicinal values. The essential oil is extracted with steam-distillation of the black cumin seeds. The seeds are little dark and crescent-shaped. It is a slight nutty flavour and has light aroma. The seeds have over 100 chemical compounds that have many medicinal benefits.
Black cumin seed is also historically significant. Archeologists have found the black cumin seed oil about 3400 years ago. The ancients Egyptians used the seed oil extensively. It has been found in the grave of Pharoah Tutankhamun as well. The Egyptians believed that the cumin seed oil helped the dead in his journey into afterlife. Queen Nofretete of the 14th century used the oil to preserve her beautiful complexion. The Bible too mentions the use of black cumin seed oil. It was considered a very valuable spice.
Common Name: Black Cummin, Black Caraway
Botanical Name: Nigella sativa
- The cumin see is also used in cooking, pastries and cheese
- Aids digestion and relieve gases in the stomach and intestines
- Helps to rid the intestines of worms
- Used in treating headaches, toothaches, colds, and infections
- Effectively used in the treatment of diseases related to the respiratory system
- The oil helps calm the nervous system, quells colic pain, stimulates urine production
- Helps treat pertussis, improves digestion and helps prevent and lower high blood pressure.
- Helps increase body tone, stimulate menstrual period, and increasing the flow of breast milk
- Effective in curing abscesses and tumors of the eye, abdomen and liver
- Stimulates body’s energy and helps in recovery from fatigue and low spirits
- Used for curing skin conditions such as allergies, eczema, acne, psoriasis and boils
- Helps in treating diarrhea, dysentery, hemorrhoids, constipation and flatulence